Grapefruit curd

You may have noticed the pile of grapefruit in one of the pictures in the previous post. I took a few home to try and make grapefruit curd. A fellow seedsaver mentioned she'd made it years ago (thanks, Chook!), and I decided to give it a go. Couldn't imagine it not being nice.

I used this recipe for lemon curd (but I halved the quantities in the recipe), which works extremely well. It also appeals heaps, because it uses whole eggs. I modified the recipe slightly, instead of sugar I used honey.

Zest and juice your grapefruit. I used two biggish ones. You could use more, if you want a big hit of grapefruit.4 eggs - lightly beaten
100g unsalted butter
100g honey

Put all ingredients in a heatproof bowl.
Stir until it thickens, then pour into clean, sterilised jars.It's really nice, and even if you are not a big fan of grapefruit, you might like it. It doesn't taste too grapefruity. Just has a nice tang.

Curd does freeze beautifully. I just bung the jars into the freezer, and Bob's your uncle. Lemon or grapefruit curd, whenever you feel like it.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Thankyou for sharing this recipe! I have a tree loaded with grapefruit and no idea what to do with them, because I don't really like them! I used them in a recipe for lemon syrup cake though, and that worked brilliantly.

Veggie Gnome said...

Ginger, I hope you have fun with that recipe. It's dead easy and delicious! :)

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Not familiar with curd. But they do look very sedap.

Veggie Gnome said...

M-K Girl - it is very similar to Kaya! Instead of the coconut you have grapefruit or lemon. :)

Post a Comment